When it comes to finding a DUI attorney, there are plenty of options. However, if you want a DUI attorney that many in York, PA, and beyond, consider to be the best, you are where you need to be – welcome to Ferro Law Firm!
The quality of the attorney you choose to represent you for your DUI case can make the difference between a DUI charge and a DUI conviction. Our attorneys have received numerous accolades, including a prestigious AV Rating from Martindale-Hubbell and selection as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer for over a decade. Our lawyers are former prosecutors and battle ready. Your decision is critical and may be the difference that avoids unwanted consequences such as incarceration, significant license suspension and a criminal record.
At Ferro Law Firm, we specialize in DUI cases, and we have built a reputation of taking on some of the most complex cases and winning. Our skilled DUI attorney team knows DUI laws inside and out, and it understands regulations and standards related to DUI cases. Through our experience and vast knowledge, we are able to build persuasive arguments and create unique defense strategies for those facing a DUI in York, PA.
At Ferro Law Firm, we use the law to our advantage as we work towards securing lighter sentences, dismissals, acquittals, and favorable plea bargains and resolutions. A DUI charge can lead to a criminal conviction which is why having the best DUI attorney team is essential.
Being the best is a work in progress. We strive every day to earn the trust and respect of our clients and our adversaries. We will handle your DUI case with integrity. Our reputation for zealous advocacy and exceptional results has been earned through decades of litigation in courts throughout Central Pennsylvania.
A DUI conviction can wreak havoc on someone’s life. A conviction is a public record and becomes part of an individual’s criminal record, which is often permanent.
The burdensome realities of being a convicted DUI offender can come to light when it’s time to seek a new job, fill out a rental application, apply for school or a professional license, or even apply for a home loan. The direct and indirect ramifications of a DUI or any other criminal conviction quickly become very sobering.
In many DUI cases, there are often ways to avoid a criminal conviction. We have been successful in having client’s avoid DUI convictions in multiple ways, including dismissal of charges by the DA or the court, not guilty verdicts at trial, successful plea bargains and through the ARD program. Each case is different, but our objective is always the same. Find the best result for our client. Avoiding a criminal conviction is often a top goal and we do our best, when possible, to achieve that result.
The Basics of DUI
In Pennsylvania, there is a three-tiered system that establishes the specific DUI charge and potential consequences. Those tiers are generally as follows:
- ‘General impairment’ (BAC of 0.080% to 0.099%)
- ‘High rate’ (BAC of 0.10% to 0.159% or a DUI with an accident)
- ‘Highest rate'(BAC of 0.160% or higher and/or DUI involving drugs or a combination of drugs and alcohol)
In order to convict an individual of DUI, the Commonwealth must prove that the individual operated a vehicle on a highway or byway of the Commonwealth and that, at the time of the operation of the vehicle, the driver was impaired or operating with a blood alcohol level above the legal limit.
Further, a police officer must have probable cause to pull a driver over and initiate a DUI investigation. Both the Fourth Amendment of the United States Constitution and Article I, Section Eight of the Pennsylvania Constitution protects individuals and it prohibits unreasonable searches and seizures, which includes illegal or unauthorized traffic stops.
If you want a better understanding of these issues and how they may affect your case, contact us immediately. If you want to know whether the Commonwealth has sufficient evidence to support the DUI charges or believe police violated your search-and-seizure rights during a traffic stop, our DUI attorney team will work with you to get the answers and find the solutions.
A Variety of Defenses are Used in DUI Cases
It is not unusual for our DUI lawyer team to obtain a dismissal of the charge or a reduction of the offense, depending on the circumstances. We have been very successful with DUI arrests not leading to DUI convictions for our York, PA clients.
In addition to establishing a violation of the Fourth Amendment, our attorneys have utilized all the following defenses to obtain exceptional results:
- Failure to provide complete discovery – DUI charges could be dismissed if all required evidence from the police is not presented to the judge.
- Lack of probable cause – One cannot be arrested unless an officer has probable cause to believe one was driving under the influence. If the arresting officer pulled you over illegally, all evidence obtained subsequent to the traffic stop would be thrown out of court. This would include your breath or blood test result, FST results, and anything you may have said to the arresting officer.
- Improper administration of field sobriety test – A field sobriety test includes a battery of assessments used by police officers to determine if a person driving was under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.
Arresting officers must follow standard procedures when administering a field sobriety test. If standard procedures are not adhered to and/or if test results were inaccurate, DUI charges could be dropped, or a sentence could be reduced.
- Inability to prove the operator of the vehicle – If the police officer is unable to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that you were behind the wheel while under the influence, then your DUI charges would likely be dropped. In Pennsylvania, you can only be convicted of driving under the influence if you are in “actual physical control” of your vehicle. There are various instances where “actual physical control” can become a complicated issue.
- Invalid Blood Test Results –Blood results can many times be questioned due to numerous issues, including consent, timeliness, or the failure to follow proper procedures. Blood tests also have a scientific margin of error, which can result in misleading or questionable results.
The above are just some of the issues we have successfully litigated on behalf of our clients. Each case and defense are different. The goal remains constant – striving to find the best result for our client.
A Light at the End of the Tunnel
Our York, PA clients who are charged as first-time DUI offenders may have the option of taking part in a program known as the Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition, also known as ARD.
A DUI attorney from our team can explain what the ARD program entails, help you apply for the ARD program, assist you with meeting the legal deadlines of the program, and work on your behalf to obtain the most favorable decision from the District Attorney’s Office.
Once you apply for the ARD program, and if you are accepted, you must successfully complete the program. Once successfully completed, all of the charges filed against you will be dismissed by court order and you will also be entitled to an expungement of the criminal history.
The ARD program can help DUI offenders avoid jail time.
The ARD program offers a second chance for those who have a genuine desire to put their DUI behind them and move forward with their lives in a positive direction.
Feel free to take advantage of a free consultation with a DUI attorney from our team. During that time, we can discuss the details of your case, the possible outcomes, and the best course of action moving forward.
They say the best defense is a good offense. No one understands this better than the attorneys at the Ferro Law Firm. All our DUI attorneys in York are former prosecutors. Now we defend. We offer strategic advantages for our clients. Ferro Law Firm is here to fight for our clients’ rights, utilize the most effective defense strategies, get DUI charges possibly reduced or dismissed, and help those in York, PA move forward with their lives, once and for all.
Connect with our Legal Team, Without Delay
Our neighbors in York, PA, and beyond can connect with our legal team by:
- Calling 717-668-8159 for immediate assistance
- Submitting questions or comments online, 24/7
Scheduling a complimentary consultation – we are here to help you move forward